My Niece is Pregnant and Doesn’t Want Her Baby; Can She Just Sign it Over?

Share the Knowledge!

“If my niece is having a baby and doesn’t want it but I do, can she just sign rights over to me and put my husband and I on the birth certificate in the hospital instead of going through adoption? We are in California and I was told that was possible. Thank you.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

If you wish to adopt your niece’s child, you *must* go through the courts.  Contact an adoption attorney in your area to guide you through the adoption process to ensure it goes as smoothly as possible.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.