How to File a Sibling Adoption

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“I am 18 years old. I have a steady job and can support myself. My brother, who is 10 now, and I were both taken from my mother at a very early age. Neither one of us know who our father is. my brother was adopted by our grandfather who is now very old, has back problems and heart problems. He doesn’t have that long left to live to be able to care for my brother until he is old enough to be on his own. I would really like to have him come live with me when our grandfather passes away. I would have plenty of financial help if this were to happen and my brother would be very well taken care of. Can I obtain custody of him, and if so how could i go about getting it?”

Question: You will need to do a relative (sibling) adoption. The actual requirements vary from State to State, but you are on the right track becoming self-supporting. Check for resources on the internet. The forms are available. If not, and if there is nobody to contest the adoption, you may be able to proceed with just the help of a paper preparer (paralegal). If you do not feel comfortable with the process, consult an attorney.