My Father Never Paid Child Support While I was Growing up, Can I Collect from his Social Security now that he’s Passed Away?

Share the Knowledge!

“I am 38 years old my father died 9 to 10 years ago, he did not pay any child support while I was growing up is there a way to collect that money from his social security. My parents where divorced when I was 5 years old, my brother was 3 and he was ordered to pay $200.00 a month for support and $200.00 in spousal support. We never received any money from him the entire time I was growing up.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

A suit can be maintained against a person’s estate for unpaid support. If there is unpaid and ongoing social security, there may be a way under some circumstances that a child can collect. Contact the Social Security Administration.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply