Can I Have My Parental Rights Reinstated?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

5 years ago my parental rights were terminated because I put up with my ex-husband beating on me. Three of the 4 boys have been adopted. My oldest is 15, and lives in a foster group home. I will be marrying next month and would like to know how and if I can file a petition to reinstate my parental rights and bring him home.

You should contact a local family law attorney for legal advice and guidance. The attorney can review your case and provide you with options on how to best proceed. Depending on your state family law code, you may be able to have your parental rights reinstated after they have been terminated by a court. You will likely have to show an extraordinary improvement in your ability to properly care for your son in order to have your rights reinstated. Again, contact an attorney for legal advice.