Woman Raped by Uncle as Minor, Does She Have Case 20 Years Later?

Share the Knowledge!

“A friend of mine says she was sexually assaulted/raped by her uncle when she was a minor under age 13 in Michigan.  She is now in her 40’s.  Can she ask her uncle to enter into an agreement that she will not file criminal or civil complaint in return for some consideration without it being viewed as extortion?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

It is not likely that a court will view this action favorably.  This type of action is on the fringes of extortion (or could even be squarely viewed as extortion), and is not advisable. There is also the possibility that the statute of limitations has run out on the assault, and there may not be a possibility to pursue the litigation.  Should your friend decide to pursue the action against her uncle, she should consult an attorney familiar with these types of cases to help her through the process.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.