What to do When an Estranged Parent is Unwilling to Terminate Parental Rights

Share the Knowledge!

“He won’t give up his rights to a child that he’s have no contact with in or over six years. He has no part her life at all. I’m in the state is Wisconsin.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

In some states you are at your option to bring an action for “termination of parental rights”. Check with a local attorney if you can voluntarily bring such an action. Is he paying his support? Some jurisdictions would allow the support collection agency to bring such an action.

Some people cannot be reasoned with just to give up their rights towards their children, not matter how difficult you make it for them to be a parent to that child. Sometimes it takes a judge.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply