I got out of a Relationship with the Man who Fathered my Children, How will our Unmarried Status Affect Child Support? Since the Break Up he’s been Harassing me, What Can I Do?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“I was never married, and CA is not common law – a 14yr relationhip, I have 3 children with this man who has a verbally abusive history with all in the family. We seperated now for 10 mos…What can I do to control his harrasing phone calls and emails? A restraining order? and how may I file for child support?”If a person’s behavior rises to the level of “harassment” you can file for a civil harassment restraining order. I am not sure whether his behavior rises to that level, as you have given no specifics.

Question: In the alternative, you may want to file a paternity action. In that action you can file a motion for child support, custody, and for the restraining order. In the alternative, you could simply file for a civil harassment restraining order, and commence an action through the local child support collection agency for the child support.