What is the Best Way to Recover Money for Shared Utilities From Ex?

Share the Knowledge!

“My brother got divorced in Kansas a few years ago.  At the time he was sharing an apartment with his wife and daughter that was in his name.  In the divorce papers she filed, he was ordered to leave the apartment, and she was to take over paying for the bills.  He talked to the apartment complex, and because she didn’t make enough money, they wouldn’t take his name off the lease.  The cable was also in his name.  He found out about six months ago that she stopped paying both of these bills at some point, and both were in collection in his name.  He paid the cable bill, but didn’t have the money for the back rent.  The apartment complex has now filed a judgment for their money, and are garnishing 75% of his paychecks to pay it. They told him they couldn’t garnish her wages because she’s not a full-time employee.  He also can’t afford a lawyer.  I recommended he go to small claims court and try to get some of his money back from her, using the divorce documents saying those bills were her responsibility after a certain date.  Would he have a good case going this route?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Yes, it’s a very good idea.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.