If a Judge Granted My Divorce but the Filing Fees Were Never Paid, am I Still Divorced?

Share the Knowledge!

“Our judge granted our divorce 10 years ago but I do not think my ex ever paid the filing fees because I haven’t ever received the paperwork.  Are we divorced?  If not, can I go in and pay the fee and then it will be final?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

You don’t say where you are located, and the local rules of various courts differ widely.  Your best bet would be to go to the office of the Clerk of Courts in the county in which the divorce was filed, and ask them to help you look up your file, and to help you determine whether your divorce was finalized.  If it was not finalized, they will be able to help you to get it done.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.