Should My Husband, in Jail for Missing a Court Date, Retain an Attorney?

Share the Knowledge!

‘My husband has been in prison since January. He was issued three warrants while incarcerated because he missed his court dates. Two warrants have been lifted but when he went to court for the third he didn’t have a public defender and the jail didn’t submit prison papers to the judge to show he was incarcerated at the time of his missed court date. They are now making him sit in jail another three weeks. Could obtaining a lawyer help get his case seen by a judge so that he can be released? He’s been gone 7 months now.’

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

This will depend entirely on the facts of the case, and the local rules of the courts where you are located. But, absolutely, your first move should be to obtain an attorney for your husband.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.