My Mother in Law, Here in the US on a Tourist Visa, has been Admitted to the Hospital, Are We Liable for her Medical Bills?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“My mother-in-law is visiting from Ghana. She is in the U.S. on a tourist visa. She has no medical insurance. We were told by my brother-in-law and her that she was in good health. She has been admitted to a local hospital with pneumonia and a salmonella infection.

Are we legally liable for her medical bills?”

Question: That will depend on several factors, including the circumstances of her admission, what paperwork (if any) you signed, and the state in which you live. You should consult with an immigration attorney in your state.