My Child’s Father Put Me in a Coma – Can I Terminate His Parental Rights?

Share the Knowledge!

“I was severely beaten and raped by an ex-boyfriend 3 months after the break up. The beating was so severe that I was in a coma for 4 days. I want to get him to sign away all his rights. Will his name still have to be on the birth certificate? He is now in jail for 25 years and has never seen my daughter. I want the way cleared incase I get married someday and my husband wishes to adopt her.” Thank you for this service.

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Birth Certificate names birth parents. Signing away parental rights will not alter that. Different states have different procedures for terminating parental rights – both voluntary and involuntary procedures. In some states that process is brought forward automatically by certain governmental agencies under some circumstances. In others, the path to termination of parental rights is brought by the parent, such as yourself, for cause. So name on birth certificate is the parent name; termination of parental rights may be an avenue available to you.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.