My Cell Phone Provider Charged me for Service Although I Canceled my Account, What Should I do?

Share the Knowledge!

“I live in Michigan and had cell phone service with Centennial. My 2 year signed contract ended in 2002. I canceled my service on Dec. 16, 2006. I just received a bill for one more additional service from Dec. 16, 2006 through January 16, 2007. I was told that in my contract it indicated I must give them 30 days notice to cancel, or I would pay an additional 30 days service after I canceled my service. With my contracted expired, how can they do this? It is not noted on my current bills or previous bills. I would like your legal advise.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

In general, you are bound by the terms of your written contract. Likely after the initial two year period, your continued use of the phone service was on a month to month basis. If there is a 30 day termination notice clause, then you would have needed to perform your duties (pay) under the contract during the notice period. Will they sue you? Maybe not, if the amount is too small for them to justify the expense of a lawsuit. Will it go on your credit report if you do not pay it? Absolutely.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply