I’ve Filed for a Motion of Modification; What Happens Next?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“I’ve filed for a motion for modification to spousal support here in Washington state and had my ex served; I’m wondering how I get a court date? I received a letter from the lawyers office that her mother hired, saying that they will be representing her. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do next. Thank you for your help.”

The court should have assigned a date when you filed the motion. You will need to call the Clerk of Court to find out when your hearing is calendared.