I’m not Happy with my Divorce Lawyer, Can I Just Represent Myself in Court?

Share the Knowledge!

“Can I drop my divorce attorney and represent myself? I’m not happy with the service I am receiving from her and I feel that she is charging for extra work that does not have to be done.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

In most states it is possible to represent your self in a family law case. It is also called representing yourself “pre se” or “in propria persona”. For the most part you can fire your attorney at will. There may be a notice requirement to the other side, but most attorneys would be happy to help you with the paperwork that gets them out of your case.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.