How can I Contest Complaint if my Ex has Moved Out of State?

Share the Knowledge!

“This is a little complicated. My ex wife and I were divorced in Bergen County, PA. She has now moved with my son to Northern New Jersey. She has file a complaint of domestication and she says it is for the sole purpose of legally stating that she resides in NJ now. I have joint legal custody and never did anything about her moving. In this complaint it now states a lot of different things. Such as paying support until the child is 23. How can I stop all these new things from happening? I cannot afford a lawyer right now.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Usually the Court that makes initial orders retains jurisdiction over the disposition of a case. Unfortunately for you, you will likely need an attorney to at least have the Court in New Jersey recognize that the case before it concerning support of your son needs to be heard in the Pennsylvania Court that already has jurisdiction in your case. You need to make your request to challenge jurisdiction in the first papers you file with the Court. The time to retain counsel to get your case on track is now, not later.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.