I’m Buying a Home, but will be Out of Town for the Closing Date, Can I Allow Someone Else to Sign for Me?

Share the Knowledge!

“I am buying a mobile home in FL. I live in PA. My mother is dealing with the owner. The closing will be on February 11,2007. I will not be there yet. Is my mother able to sign the papers for me? If not, can we do this over the phone so I can give my verbal permission for her to sign the papers?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

You need to check with the person who is handling the escrow. Typically, this is handled by having you execute a power of attorney giving your agent (in this case, your mother) the authority to sign for you.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply