If Parental Rights are Terminated, Does you Still Need to Pay Child Support in the State of Missouri?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“Hello we need help! My fiance’s ex-wife has asked him to give up his rights to his two sons. My question to you is will he still have to pay child support? She is planning on getting married in the near future would the courts allow this. We live in the state of Missouri.”

Question: In Missouri, voluntary termination of parental rights based upon consent still requires a court order. There needs to be a showing that the consent is knowing, voluntary and intelligent, and that the termination is in the best interests of the child. Termination of parental rights may or may not extinguish parental responsibilities (support). Check with a local attorney.