If I was Adopted, Am I Entitled to any of my Birth Father’s Estate?

Share the Knowledge!

“I was born to a very prominent Miami family (fathers side) My mother placed me with the State of Florida in 1959. My state Case Worker gave me copies of my state file. I know who my father is because of the file. I was eventually adopted and after 13 years removed for child abuse. MY QUESTION: Do I have any legal entitlements under Florida law as an heir to this man. He has never married. Unlike many adopted children in Florida I DO know who my biological father is.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

If your father has a will, and he wills things to “his children” you would have the right to inherit. If he does not have a will, then you would have a right to some proportionate share in his estate by intestate succession. If he has a will but does not know about you, and you think he might will you something if he did, get to know him.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply