I Have Joint Custody With My Ex, Who is Dating a Sex Offender. Can I Have Our Custody Order Changed?

Share the Knowledge!

‘I am divorced and have 50/50 custody of my two daughters 4 & 9. My ex-wife has been dating guy after guy since the divorce and just recently I learned she is dating a registered sex offender and he spends many days and nights at her apartment with my girls there! A GAL and social services have been involved from the beginning of our separation. She was also arrested for assault against me and the judge ordered a four year restraining order against her. What do you think my next step should be since it seems I can get nothing done to keep my daughters safe?’

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Since you have an existing custody order, you can petition the court for a modification of that order, ordering the mother to keep your daughter away from her sex-offender paramour during visits. If you are concerned with her ability to parent in light of these developments, contact an attorney who practices family law in your jurisdiction to discuss all of the available options, which may include a change of the custody arrangements, and even, perhaps, supervised visitation for your ex.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.