I Gave a Lawyer Access to my Checking Account for Billing Purposes and Now I have a Negative Balance, Is This Legal? What can I do?

Share the Knowledge!

“A law firm attached his fees to my checking account. At the time my balance was $1.22, currently my Available Balance is over -$2,000 with a Running Balance of ($98.00). What exactly does this mean? The amount debited on Sept 25, 2008 was $100.00. Can he do this? I’m current unemployed looking for a job should I close down this account? When I find a job and deposit my checks will they take all of the money from my check? What can I do?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

While the laws governing banking, and creditor and debtor rights, are very complicated and governed by both Federal and state law, the bottom line isn’t really “can” he do that – he DID do it.

You need to talk with your *bank* to find out what your options are, and get this taken care of as soon as possible, as otherwise the fees are just going to snowball on you.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.