I am Representing Myself in a Criminal Case, How Do I Get a Copy of Evidence Against Me?

Share the Knowledge!

“I am a defendant in a criminal case in Wisconsin, I am representing¬†myself, how do I get a copy of all the evidence against me?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

The prosecution has a duty to provide you with all evidence they have against you, even if you can use it to show your innocence (exculpatory evidence). The evidence the prosecutor has against you is obtained through a process called discovery, whereby you request they provide you with copies of the evidence they have against you. Often, you get this evidence at or shortly after your first court hearing and throughout the trial. That said, if you are the defendant in a criminal case, you need to hire an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can petition the court to provide you with a public defender. Criminal law is a complex area of law with very serious consequences.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.