How to Get a Copy of Criminal Record

Share the Knowledge!

“How do I find out what is on my record as criminal? I had a felony charge 15 years ago. Is it still on my record and if so can any one get that info.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Generally speaking, criminal records are part of the public record and you can expect for them to follow you for life. There are a variety of online services that can assist you in checking for what appears on your record. You can often contact your state police and in certain states you may be able to request a copy of your official record (sometimes they will charge a nominal fee).

Share the Knowledge!

Author: Ray Everett-Church, Esq.

Ray Everett-Church is a privacy and security consultant with PrivacyClue LLC and is co-author of "Internet Privacy for Dummies"