How Can Man Get Custody of 13 Year Old Daughter He Just Met?

Share the Knowledge!

“A friend of mine recently met his daughter for the first time, he did not know that she existed until she found him, she is 13 years old. She is currently living with her grandfather on her mother’s side. Her mother died a few years ago. My friend would really like custody of his daughter.  What would be the best course of action to getting custody of his daughter?  They both live in California.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Your friend can file either for a guardianship or adoption of his daughter.  This is a highly complicated area of law that could lead to extensive litigation if there is a dispute.  The easiest and safest way to go about that is to contact a California lawyer who practices in family law and adoption law.  If finances are a concern, your friend can contact a local Bar Association and ask for the contact information for a pro bono family law attorney, who will work either for free or at a graduated pay schedule according to what your friend can afford.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.