Do I Have to Continue to Allow My Son to Visit His Father?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

My 11-year-old son does not want to go and visit his dad anymore. There is no court order. I have allowed him to visit his father because I thought it was best for my son. My son does not want to visit him anymore. Do I have to continue to allow my son to visit his father?

Since you do not have a court order specifying the terms of custody, you do not have to take your son to visit his father. However, your son’s father does have a legal right to see him . Thus, the father may file for legal and physical custodial rights to ensure that he is able to visit your son. Alternatively, the father may consent to your son not visiting him for a limited time period.