Can I Transfer My Son Without the Permission of His Father?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

There are two middle schools in my hometown of Idaho. I want to transfer my son out of the school he is currently enrolled in and enroll him into the other middle school- Can I transfer my son without the permission of his father? We are currently divorced.

You should review your child custody order to determine if there are any limitations with transferring your child to a different school. The order may grant you the right to transfer your child to a different school without having to seek the permission of your child’s father. Alternatively, you could ask the father for permission. If he agrees, you should have him sign a notarized declaration for evidentiary purposes just in case he later objects to the transfer in a child custody legal proceeding.