Can Parental Rights Be Voluntarily Terminated Pursuant To An Agreement?

Share the Knowledge!

I am a lesbian and I want to use one of my guy friends to have a child. I want to know if I can use an agreement between both him and I to relieve him of his rights and responsibilities for the child?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Depending on your state law, this may be possible. You should consult with a local attorney well versed in family and contract law to see if such agreements are in fact legal. In addition, your friend can terminate his parental rights through the court system as well in lieu of having an agreement. The process may be tedious and it does not guarantee that he won’t later challenge the termination.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney