Can Mother of Minor Son be Sued for Child Support for His Child?

Share the Knowledge!

“Can my 17 year old son, who is still in high school and now a father, be sued for child support or am I responsible for him? We live in North Carolina.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Depending on your son’s financial situation, it is possible that the court will look to him, you, the mother of the child, and (providing she is a minor as well) her parents for child support.  The Court’s first priority is to provide for your grandchild, and will find the most practical solution to be sure that the child’s needs are met.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.