Can I Relocate My Children Without Their Father’s Permission?

Share the Knowledge!

I live with my boyfriend and we have two children and we live in Indiana. He is verbally abusive. He is on the birth certificate but nothing has been done through the court. I want to relocate to Arizona. Can I leave with my children whom are 2 & 8-years-old?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Depending on your state law, you could be prosecuted for child abduction if you relocate with your children. You also face the possibility of your boyfriend initiating a child custody action which would require you to bring your children back to Indiana.

If you are in an abusive relationship, you should consider obtaining a restraining order against your boyfriend. A restraining order can protect you and your children from the abusive environment. You should consult with a local family law attorney to find out how to best proceed.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney