Can I Be Compensated For The Use Of My Property?

Share the Knowledge!

I was told that a local sealer company needs to run a rain drainage pipe through my property so that their business isn’t flooded with water. I was asked by a family member on behalf of the sealer co. and the township supervisor. The company didn’t even ask me themselves. My husband passed away last June 2014. I don’t know if I am supposed to be compensated for the use of my land and they didn’t offer. If they are supposed to compensate me, how much do I ask for? I can’t afford a lawyer so any input is appreciated. I feel as if I’m being taken advantage of because they didn’t ask me directly and they think that I won’t ask questions. What should I do?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s passing. It sounds like you relied on him for a lot of this sort of decision-making, and you’re a bit at a loss now that he’s gone.

Unfortunately, the decisions don’t go away after someone dies. Your only choices are to find someone else you can rely on (a friend or another family member, perhaps), or rely on yourself.

Attorneys may not be as expensive as you think. You can probably get a one-hour consultation for a few hundred dollars or less. But if you absolutely can’t afford an attorney, see if they won’t pay for one. I’m sure you want to have your interests protected legally, but can’t afford an attorney. If you would cover that cost, I would be happy to work with you.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney