Will My Child Support Order Change if I Move?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

I have a 5-year-old daughter with my ex-boyfriend. He is in the Navy and rarely pays child support and he sees her maybe once every 18 months. He also hardly ever calls or has any contact. Most of the time I don’t even know where he is. I have recently gotten married to a man who is in the Marines. We moved to CA with my daughter from TX. Is my child support going to change since we moved states? We have an agreement that I have sole custody of our daughter and that I can move states with her, if needed.

Your child support order will not necessary change if you move to a different location, unless you have an agreement that states otherwise. You should continue to receive support based on your current order. Your ex-boyfriend (or you) can request for a modification to be made to the order which may result in the payment amount being adjusted (which would reflect both parent’s current living/financial situation including the minor child).