Prior to Getting Married, I Used the Profit From the Sale of My Home to Renovate a Home In My Husband’s Name, Am I Entitled to Anything?

Share the Knowledge!

“Prior to my husband and I being married, he purchased a home for us to remodel and live in since I already owned a home which he insisted we sell, and have since used that money to renovate our new home. However, since he purchased the home in his name only, and his name is the only name of the deed, would I be entitled to my part of the equitable increase in value if we were to divorce?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Yes, subject to proof of course. I hope you kept receipts, because sometimes it is is difficult to trace separate property contributions towards things. Especially here where it is your separate property used to make improvements on his separate property home.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply