Our Child has a Friend who is a Bad Influence, Can we Issue a Restraining Order on her Friend?

Share the Knowledge!

“I have a 16 yr old daughter. She has made friends with a 15 yr old girl and we are trying to keep them from contacting each other. The problem is my daughter wants contact with the girl, we as her parents don’t. We tried setting limits like no phone contact and not allowing them to see each other but I just found out tonight the other girls mother is helping them to see each other behind our backs. They do not attend the same school so that is not a problem. Is there something like a restraining order that we as her parents can file, against both of them I guess, ordering that there be no contact? We live in Mass. The other issue with this is that our daughter won’t graduate high school til she is 19 1/2 yrs old. Can we prevent her from this relationship and others like it as long as she lives in our house or only until she is 18?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

I do not know of any “bad influence restraining orders”. That is unless the 15 year old’s actions constitute assaulting, threatening, striking, stalking, etc. you are probably not going to be able to get a Court order against her. You have a better chance controlling your own child. Confine her in the house. Report her as a runaway if she leaves and have her picked up by the police. Home school. Of course when she does reach majority, 18, you will have destroyed your relationship with her and she will be able to call her own shots. Likely, these shots will be called far away from you.

As a parent you are probably better off talking to your daughter about things and likely with the help of a therapist (for you and maybe her). Maybe explaining to your daughter and the other girl your values, expectations and limits might help. Ultimately you cannot parent the other child, but you might be able show her the path to your trust based on mutual respect. You also might want to speak directly with her mother about your expectations.

You probably need a family therapist – LCSW, MFT – more than an attorney.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.