Now That My Child is 18, How do I Have My Child Support Order Removed?

Share the Knowledge!

“I have a child support order in Philadelphia, Pa. My daughter is 18┬átoday, how do I have her emancipated and removed from the order?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Child support obligations typically terminate when the supported child reaches the age of majority, which is often 18 years of age and no longer in high school. The age of majority varies depending on the state you’re in. Once the child reaches the age of majority, there is no need to have them emancipated, as they have legally become an adult.

As far as the child support obligations are concerned, you need to review the actual language of your child support order to ensure there were no other agreements, and to determine what necessary steps must be taken to ensure your legal obligations to pay child support have indeed terminated. Sometimes child support orders specify when and how child support obligations terminate, but not always. Often, modifying or terminating a child support order requires that you file a motion with the court.

Since it seems like there are additional facts to your case, and because courts take child support obligations very seriously, you should consult with a qualified family law attorney in your area who will be better able to advise you how to proceed.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.