My Spouse became Disabled after we got Married, Is he Entitled to Alimony?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“My husband and I have been married for little over 2 yrs, he became disabled during that time, can he ask me for alimony? He collects SSD and I work full time and have a child from a former marriage.”

Question: If one spouse supports the other, there is potential for spousal support upon a dissolution of marriage. Based on the duration of your marriage, it sounds like it would not be ordered on a permanent basis. If your support of your child eats up your disposable earnings, that might be a good reason to reduce or negate spousal support. If you are making a million dollars a year, and you have supported your spouse in a lavish lifestyle (a la Brittney and KFed) then you’re probably going to have to kick down some spousal.