My Son Backed Over a Gas Meter and I’ve Been Billed for the Damages. Do I Have to Pay?

Share the Knowledge!

‘My son was helping his grandmother move when he backed into a gas meter and knocked it down. They found out who did it and sent me a bill for 1200 dollars. Do I have to pay this?’

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

If your son is under 18, then the odds are quite good that you (or your insurance company) can be found to be responsible for paying for the damage done to the gas meter when your son backed the car into it. If he is 18 or over, then he would likely be responsible. The way you word this, however, leads one to wonder: if not your son, or you if he is under 18, then who do you think *should* be responsible for it?

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.