My Ex Used Money Donated to our Son While he had Cancer, How can I get Back the Money Owed to my Child?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“As a child, my son had cancer and was given money by city police officers, (called a “10-13″) totaling 13,000 in case our medical coverage became exhausted. My ex husband and I have been divorced about 4 years now and he says he doesn’t have the money because he spent it on all the furniture that we owned at that time. I was never apprised that everything he bought for the apartment was from my son’s money. When he left us, he took the money from our then bank account. What can I do to get back what is owed to my son? My son is now 21 years old.”You will need to contact a local attorney who specializes in family law in your area, and possibly a tax attorney as well, as this is such a specialized, fact-specific situation. Depending on the laws in your state, you may have a case, or your son may have a case, or there may be no case at all. Contact someone soon, as you may also be facing a statute of limitations, which would mean at some point – if there is a case – it will expire.