My Ex Moved Out of the State and Applied Again for Child Support, Now I Owe Back support, What Should I Do?

Share the Knowledge!

“My child support case was set up in CA. Then my ex wife moved to AL. She applied for AL child support. Then AL turns the case over to NC. My ex say I owe back child support. Child support is garnished from my paychecks so I provided NC with copies to prove that I have paid. NC faxes all info to AL. Months later AL is still sending me letters stating I owe back support. They are adding interest every month. I’ve written letters asking for a case review, and have heard nothing. Sent emails, called. I don’t know what to do now.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

You may need the judge to take a look at it. Get your case set for an arrearages review. Have all your documented proof for payments formatted in an easy to read declaration, so you look serious and organized. An excel spreadsheet with amounts owed and amounts paid by month, supplemented with canceled checks attached to a declaration under penalty of perjury that the information is accurate. The Court will be able to make an ultimate order regarding arrears.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply