My Child is 18 but he won’t Graduate Until Next Year, Do I Still Need to Pay for Child Support?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“My son will be 18 years old this July 2007 and he will not graduate till June 2008. My understanding is that I have to pay child support till he gradates June 2008.”

Question: In California, that is absolutely the case. Support of a minor child continues until the child turns 18 and is graduated from high school or reaches the age of 19 in any case. There may be exceptions for college education or adult special needs children in some jurisdictions.