My Child has Two Last Names, How Do I Change it to Just One Name?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“My son has two last names (ex. will-stre) I want to know what legal steps can I take to have the stre removed. There is no child support action against the father, but he is also not helping with child expenses on his own.”

Question: If that is the name on the birth certificate, you will need to file a Petition for a change of name on behalf of your son. As part of that Petition, you will have to give notice to the other parent of what you are trying to do.