Is it Possible for My Son’s Father to Obtain Full Custody?

Share the Knowledge!

My son’s father is suing me for paternity as well as custody for our 9 year-old son. Our son has lived with him for the past 5 years. Is it possible for my son’s father to obtain full custody? He currently has a lawyer and I do not.

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Generally, the terms regarding child custody are discussed between the parents and then submitted to the court for review and approval. If your child’s father seeks to obtain full custody (which may be legal and/or physical custody), he will have to present a compelling case as to why his request should be granted. A sole legal and/or physical custody request is rarely granted in most states. You should contact a local family law attorney and discuss the facts of your case in more detail with him or her.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney