If I get Married will my Father have to Stop Paying my Mother Child Support for me?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“I am 17 years old, my mother has full custody of me and my little brother. I am gettin married but my father is paying child support. If I get married would he stop passing child support for me or what happens…? What is the law about this…?”It depends on what state you live in; in some states the act of getting married will essentially emancipate you, which may or may not be grounds for discontinuing child support. You should check with an attorney in the state in which you live and, if different, in the state which issued the child support order.