I am Unable to Collect on a Car I Sold, What Recourse do I Have?

Share the Knowledge!

“I sold a car in Nov 2006 for 1600.00 . I’ve tried countless times to collect. The buyer has always had some excuse. What can I do about this?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

First, you should collect any documents you have regarding this sale.Depending on your state and local rules, there is likely a court, perhaps a small claims court, in which you can present your documents to the court and ask it to issue a court order to force the buyer to pay the $1600.  Assuming you obtain this court order you should speak with an attorney in your area to determine the best course of action to actually collect the money.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.