How do I Get an Easement for my Property that is Landlocked?

Share the Knowledge!

“I have a property in the Hollywood Hills that is landlocked. According to California Law, a “right of way” easement may be necessary to get legal access to the lot. Does anyone know if this is the right course? If so, how do I apply for an easement? Which department in the county do I need to contact? Need HELP!!!”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

The question is, how did the parcel come to be landlocked? If it was subdivided from another parcel which has road access, you may have the right to access over that parcel. If not, you may be out of luck in terms of forcing the issue.

At that point, you would have to approach one or more of your neighbors to get an easement over their property. Expect to pay them for this.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.