How do I Add my Wife’s Name to my Deed of Trust?

Share the Knowledge!

“We live in Colorado & I want to add my wife’s name to our deed of trust. a 50 /50 situation. I’m assuming a quit claim deed is the way to go? Thanks for your time.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

A deed of trust is a document, like a mortgage, which a lender uses to secure their loan. If you want your wife on the loan, you’ll need to talk to your lender.

Assuming what you want is to have your wife on title to the property, there are a number of different ways that you can transfer a part interest in your property, and a number of different ways that you can hold that property. Depending on how you do it, there may be different effects, both from a legal and a tax perspective. For that reason, I would strongly suggest that you consult with an attorney to make this transfer. It should not be very expensive, but the attorney can let you know what the options are in your state, and more importantly what the effect of those options will be so you can select the right one for your situation.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.