How Can I Legally Divorce My Husband?

Share the Knowledge!

I’ll make my story brief and then ask you the question. I married a man in one state two years ago. Since then, his name and social security number has changed. We married again in a different state under his new identity. I want a divorce. We live in two different states. In four more months, I will have satisfied the residency requirements in the state of Tennessee. What is the best way to go about getting the divorce (the most simple way)? We have no assets together, no children, nothing. We both will consent to the divorce. Does the second marriage even count since we already married once? Would I have to get both marriages dissolved to avoid any issues for me in the future? Thank you for any information you can provide.

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

You should consult with an attorney for legal advice regarding your situation. When you file for divorce, you may have the option of listing any other legal name the person may go by. Most importantly, list the name in which you signed your marriage license under. From there, make sure he is served and provided with notice of the divorce. Having multiple names should not directly impact the divorce proceeding. Again, meet with a local attorney for legal advice.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney