How Can I Have My House Plans Approved By the County?

Share the Knowledge!

In California, is it legal for the County to demand a grant of easement, in exchange for having our house plans approved, or a building permit issued? They already have a forty-foot easement, but they said they decided they need 4 more feet. Is this legal? Are we entitled to some compensation other than the approval of our permit? This was originally a 5 acre lot. They have already taken almost a whole acre for road easements without any prior consent or compensation, and without our prior knowledge. We are hesitant to sign this, but also want our permit issued.

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

In general, municipalities have a fair amount of discretion in granting or denying permits, and it is not unusual for them to put conditions or requirements on their issuance. This is especially true if you are doing anything that requires a variance.

To definitively answer your question, you would need to review the applicable local ordinances in some detail with respect to the particular request you are making.

The practical answer, however, is this: Is their demand enough of a burden that it’s worth suing over? If the answer is no, then most likely you will be stuck with it. An attorney can sometimes be helpful in discussions with the County, but more often than not, only the threat of a lawsuit will change their mind.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney