Do I Need to Get a Court Order for Child Support if my Ex is Giving me Money Already?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

“Do I have to sign up for child support if my ex is giving me wages already, or is it illegal not to make him pay child support?”There is nothing illegal with working out a deal outside of the legal system for the payment of child support. It is usually advisable to have an order just in case someone changes their mind about paying or custody and visitation. However it is not illegal for two parents to decide between them what support and visitation schedule is best for their child and never actually go to court.

Question: If you ever receive public assistance, the non-custodial parent will be pursued for support, whether you want that to happen or not.