Did I Legally Give Up My Parental Rights?

Share the Knowledge!

I was working with CPS because I have an addiction. I am in full blown recovery and working a program. In a nutshell, I felt I was manipulated into volunteering my rights away by my CPS worker and the people that are adopting my daughter. I didn’t understand my rights and my public defender did not explain to me anything at all. I did not sign any paperwork and now I’m told I can’t do anything about it. Is there anything I can do? AWhat about an appeal process? I’m desperate and I’m in need of some knowledge of where to start.

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

You should speak to a family law attorney. They would be able to advise you as to whether you legally gave up your rights to your daughter. Although you state you did not sign anything, if a judge asked you questions and you verbally agreed to relinquish your rights, you may have actually relinquished your rights. If this is the case, you may still have a small window of time in which to reassert your rights. An attorney can advise you as to what your rights are and how you can assert them.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney