Can my Ex Refuse to Help Pay for our 18 year old Son’s College Tuition?

Share the Knowledge!

“I have never received official child support from my son’s father. My son’s father has helped to support my son from child care through high school. My son is now 18 and a full-time college student. His father says he is no longer going to give anything to his son. Is my son entitled to receive anything from his father while he is in college full time?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

In a very few states, support orders can be extended into college years. However, since there never was an order for support, I do not know of any state that would allow for an initial action for support to be filed for a child that has already reached majority. The answer is “probably not legally, but son’s should always be able to talk to their fathers about things.”

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.